I’m really pleased with the response to my plugin so far. I never thought that it would get over a thousand downloads in a few days. Also, traffic to my website has increased by 20,000% in the last week! Although, that’s 20,000% of a very low number… so perhaps not as good as it sounds
Anyway, quite a few people in the comments on the plugin homepage requested more information in the tooltips, and others asked for the ability to hide certain bits of information (the start time of an event, for example). Well, these things are addressed in 0.2!
I have completely changed the tooltip system, they might not look radically different, but now they are created using the jQuery tooltip plugin, qTip. This plugin has a feature that allows you to mouseover a tooltip and click on links within it etc. So you can now add a link to the Google Calendar event details to the tooltip.
You will notice that the tooltip no longer follows the mouse, but stays in the middle of the calendar day table cell. This is to allow the functionality described above.
There is also a whole new set of options, which control how, and what, information is displayed on the tooltip or list. The information you can show or hide is as follows:
- Title – The ‘Events on…’ bit
- Start time – You might want to remove this for all day events, for example
- End time and date – Both time and date are shown if you choose to show this, as events can span several days
- Description – If this is really long, you might want to hide it. URLs are automatically linked
- Link to event details – This is a link to the Google Calendar page for the event
In all the above cases, you can change (or remove) the text that is displayed before the information, so for the start time you could have: ‘Starts:’ or ‘Begins:’ or ‘At:’ or whatever you like.
Also, if you have set to show a certain piece of information and it doesn’t exist (or is empty) for a specific event, it won’t be shown for that event, but will be shown for any events that do have that piece of information.
Things to Note
Quite a lot of the CSS has changed, to go along with the new markup structure of the tooltips and lists, so if you were using a customized stylesheet, you may need to make some adjustments.
You can download the new version from the plugin directory or by upgrading from within your WordPress admin.
Again, I welcome any feedback. If you are looking for support, have a bug report or feature request, please leave a comment on the plugin homepage or contact me. If you have any other feedback, you can leave a comment on this post.
Both the plugin homepage and demo page are updated to reflect the new version.
Update – 0.2.1
0.2.1 is now out too. It fixes a few bugs, but also adds a couple of minor features:
- Timezone adjustment – This allows you to specify a timezone for the feed. All dates and times within the feed will be shown in the selected timezone. Also, in 0.2, the ‘More details’ link was linking to event details that were shown in UTC by default, in this version the ‘More details’ link will link to event details in the same timezone as the feed or in the selected timezone. (I’m not sure that sentence makes sense, but I hope you got the gist of it )
- New window option for ‘More details’ link – There is now an option to make the ‘More details’ link open in a new window or tab
The bug fixes are:
- Line breaks – Line breaks were not being preserved in the event description. This should be fixed now
- Title not showing in lists – Titles were not being shown in lists. They should do now.